This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ascension Forum Index -> General OOC
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
timåeus

re: Health and Fitness

http://www.fitday.com/
I am now using this tracker with good results. I have gained more weight recently than I should have, considering, I usually cut in the summer, and bulk in the winter. With the druid swap and all, I was a little more focused on my new character getting him up to raid spec, and not enough gym time. I missed a lot of gym time during that month, then had a rotator cuff injury from trying to lift too much too fast. That being said, I really like this tracker. It is one of the best ones I have used. It is a good program to track what you are eating, and how much, along with calories burned. Just follow the * Free Online Account link.

just thought i would share
Nomithu
Torturer of English

FitDay is awesome and one that I used to use as well. Another option, particularly if you like something with forums for support, is Spark People.

''I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat. And then on some dark, cold night, I will steal away into your house...and punch you in the face.'' - Sue Sylvester
Ash-Kiwi
Titkerchief

doctors orders, Tim? ^_~

timåeus

Ash-Kiwi wrote:
doctors orders, Tim? ^_~

No, just the Pew Pew in me
Forum Image Forum Image
Ankatra_Udotho

I really want to work out more. My problem is that I'm so out of shape that I don't know where to start... and I'm pretty much an exercise noob (I think the closest thing to exercise shoes I have are nursing shoes and I own exactly 0 pairs of shorts). I'm still within my recommended BMI but I've gained about 15 pounds since I quit my somewhat-active job two years ago and am *not* happy about it. So, thanks for the links Nomi and Tim, I've been needing some motivation.

Ankatra_Udotho wrote:
I really want to work out more. My problem is that I'm so out of shape that I don't know where to start... and I'm pretty much an exercise noob (I think the closest thing to exercise shoes I have are nursing shoes and I own exactly 0 pairs of shorts). I'm still within my recommended BMI but I've gained about 15 pounds since I quit my somewhat-active job two years ago and am *not* happy about it. So, thanks for the links Nomi and Tim, I've been needing some motivation.

Take small steps, work with a journal. If you set small goals to start out with, use this tracker for weight goals, you can get back into it. Do you belong to a gym, or have a work out partner?
Ankatra_Udotho

Yes, access to the gym is included in my university tuition. But no I don't have an exercise partner. I really wish I did, because I think that would help a lot. It kind of sucks -- I have membership at the university gym as a student, and Nahbre has membership at the community college gym as an employee, but neither one of us can use the other and so we can't work out together. :-/

Ankatra_Udotho wrote:
Yes, access to the gym is included in my university tuition. But no I don't have an exercise partner. I really wish I did, because I think that would help a lot. It kind of sucks -- I have membership at the university gym as a student, and Nahbre has membership at the community college gym as an employee, but neither one of us can use the other and so we can't work out together. :-/

Determining Your Starting Point
To achieve cardiovascular benefits, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends exercising 3-5 times per week (frequency) with a training heart rate of 60-85 percent of your maximum (intensity) for 20-60 minutes (time).
For more information: Understanding Your Training Heart Rate

To attain muscular fitness benefits, the ACSM recommends weight training two days per week (frequency), performing one to three sets of 10 repetitions (time) of eight to ten different exercises at approximately 70-85 percent of your one repetition maximum (intensity.)

If you're just beginning an exercise program, start in the low range of the above recommendations. For example, participate in a cardiovascular activity (walking, aerobics, cycling, etc.) for 20 minutes, three times a week and add strength training exercises to your workout, twice a week. Schedule your strength training workouts with 48 hours rest in between to allow your muscles to recuperate and repair after each workout.

Begin Slowly and Gradually Build
Unfamiliarity with movements and equipment can prove frustrating enough that you may consider throwing in the towel. Take heart, it's normal to feel awkward in the beginning, especially if you have undertaken an activity that you aren't familiar with. It doesn't take long for your skill to improve if you stick with it. After all, even fitness instructors were once beginners!

If you attempt "too much, too soon" it will lead to soreness, fatigue and/or injuries. Work at your own level, start out slow, and gradually increase duration and level of difficulty as your body progresses. Getting fit is not an overnight proposition, it's a lifestyle commitment. Don't expect immediate dramatic changes in your body shape or weight loss. Although changes are happening internally, most external benefits won't become visible for the first four to six weeks. Stay focused on your lifestyle choice and celebrate the internal benefits you're experiencing such as increased energy, less stress and anxiety, higher self-esteem, and an increased feeling of well-being.

Staying Motivated
Only one-third of those who begin an exercise program are still exercising by the end of their first year. The good news is that with some strategizing and planning, you can beat the dropout odds and make a successful transition to a lifestyle that incorporates exercise. Here's some tips to help you stay motivated.

Find a Fitness Partner: Studies show that exercise adherence is generally greater if the family or a friend is included in the commitment to exercise. Find a walking partner, play tennis with your spouse, or go rollerblading with the kids.

Start an Exercise Log or Journal: An exercise log or journal is an excellent way to chart your progress and provide motivation. Nothing beats the feeling of success as you read through your accomplishments. Exercise logs can take on many forms; a calendar to record your workouts, a daily journal to record your feelings and goals, a computerized exercise log, or a log purchased at bookstore. The key is to select a log or journal that fits your needs and provides you the kind of information that is meaningful to you.

Schedule Your Workouts: Exercise must be a priority in order to establish it as a lifestyle practice. Make time for your workouts and schedule them on your daily calendar or planner.

Toss Your Scale: Ask yourself, "How often has stepping on the scale in the morning ruined my day?" If your answer is "often," consider whether or not you should give that little machine such power over you. The fact is that exercise should not revolve around a number on a scale. Exercise should be about making a commitment to your health and well being, weight loss is a natural side effect of that commitment.

Dress the Part: Wear comfortable clothes appropriate for exercising, they will help you feel like working out. If you exercise at a gym put your exercise wear in a bag and set it beside the door the night before. When it's time to head out the door, all you have to do is grab your bag on the way out.

Entertain Yourself: If you exercise alone, consider using a portable music device to listen to your favorite music or books on tape to help keep you entertained during your workout. Many pieces of exercise equipment have racks that fit onto the console to hold reading material. If you exercise at home, turn on some music or bring the television within viewing range.
For more information: Turn Up The Intensity

Evaluate Your Progress: It's a good idea to test your fitness level when you start and re-evaluate yourself every couple of months. There are a variety of fitness tests that you can administer yourself. Getting a body composition test is another great way to chart your progress and can be done every four to six months. The local YMCA or fitness club can perform this test at a minimal cost, even if you're not a member.

Make Exercise Non-Negotiable: Think of exercise as something you do without question, like brushing your teeth or going to work. Taking the lifestyle perspective will help you make exercise a habit.
Nomithu
Torturer of English

I need to get an applause smilie from Jab! Great info, Tim.

''I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty cat. And then on some dark, cold night, I will steal away into your house...and punch you in the face.'' - Sue Sylvester
Mireina
Champion

Thank you very much for the info, Tim =)

I exercise on a daily basis; but every day it's either a short run or random curl-ups; waiting for Mia to come home -for- said run.

I should probably step it up a little. I plan to use the thinger you linked Happy
Tzopjal

Forum Image

re: Gym record

Gym record for Bench Press at my local Ballys for my age and weight. 405 lbs, 6 reps, 225 lbs 31 reps.... Right now I weigh 203 lbs, but will shred down to 185 lbs by following a strict low carb diet, eating at specific times and snacking often. I am not a huge fan of cardio, but I may have to do some to cut this extra weight I have gained.

NFL combine comparison http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-bench-press

Motivation after watching the movie http://munfitnessblog.com/how-to-build-body-like-hugh-jackman/

Forum Image
timåeus

re: Tabata Training

Tabata Intervals were named after the Japanese doctor who first designed them: Izumi Tabata, PHD. This style of workout favors intense sets with minimal rest between sets. The Tabata protocol is a high-intensity training regimen that produces remarkable results. A Tabata workout (also called a Tabata sequence) is an interval training cycle of 20 seconds of maximum intensity exercise, followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated without pause 8 times for a total of four minutes. In a group context, you can keep score by counting how many lifts/jumps/whatever you do in each of the 20 second rounds. The round with the smallest number is your score.

Credit for this simple and powerful training method belongs to its namesake, Dr. Izumi Tabata and a team of researchers from the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, Japan. Their groundbreaking 1996 study, published in the journal Medicine and Science in Sports & Exercise, provided documented evidence concerning the dramatic physiological benefits of high-intensity intermittent training. After just 6 weeks of testing, Dr. Tabata noted a 28% increase in anaerobic capacity in his subjects, along with a 14% increase in their ability to consume oxygen (V02Max). These results were witnessed in already physically fit athletes. The conclusion was that just four minutes of Tabata interval training could do more to boost aerobic and anaerobic capacity than an hour of endurance exercise.

Although Dr. Tabata used a mechanically braked exercise cycle machine, you can apply this protocol to almost any exercise. For example, a basic Tabata workout can be performed with sit-ups. The more muscles used the better, so use full knees-bent sit-ups. Sit-up non-stop for 20-second intervals, followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat for a total of 8 cycles.

How effective can just 4 minutes of exercise be? ... Very. You will be amazed at how intense the four minutes of exercise will feel. The intervals tax both your aerobic and anaerobic energy systems. To be clear, this isn't "eight sets of eight," although the goal of doing eight reps in each of the 20-second clusters is about right. Instead it's "as many reps as I can get in" during the twenty seconds, followed by ten seconds rest.

It helps to be able to see a wall clock with a second hand during your four minutes of fun. Stop at twenty seconds, rest ten seconds, and go again. Watching the clock helps with your focus and also in keeping count of the eight cycles...

Here is a longer Tabata workout example. This workout consists of 4 separate Tabata Intervals, each 4 minutes. The total workout will last 16 minutes. Always begin with a moderate warm-up and cool down session. And if you are not already in good shape, check with a doctor before trying.

* Jump Rope

* Pushups

* Squats

* Chin-ups or Pull-ups

Note the 10-second rest periods in the Tabata workout are important, both physically and mentally. Not only do they allow partial recovery, they also provide psychological relief. Switching back and forth from work to rest makes the workout go quickly. Plus, it allows you to train at a higher level of intensity, which what intervals are all about.

Another good exercise for Tabatas is the "squat thruster." The squat thruster is one of the great lifts being made popular by organizations such as CrossFit. Take two dumbbells and hold them at shoulder height. Squat down, pushing your rear-end back, keeping the dumbbells on the shoulders. As you rise up, press the bells to the overhead lockout position. You can either press as you rise or use the momentum to help "kick" the bells overhead. Keep your weight in your heals and go light! A 25 pound dumbbell in each hand is a very difficult thruster workout!

Pretty much any form of cardiovascular exercise that uses a large number of muscles can be tailored to fit Tabata interval workouts, so feel free to be creative. In addition to the exercises mentioned above, use them with sprints, burpees, a jump rope, the heavy bag, treadmill or rowing machine. Lessen the likelihood of injury by choosing a rate of intensity suited to your level of conditioning - be conservative. Incorporate variety into your Tabata workouts. A few sessions per week will offer plenty of intensity.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_tabata_method
http://www.squidoo.com/tabatatraining
timåeus

re: More Tabata

WARNING: Tabata Workouts WILL Cause Fat Loss

Forum Image
Pre - Tabata Training............................Post - Tabata Training

http://healthhabits.wordpress.com/2009/01/21/warning-tabata-workouts-will-cause-fat-loss/
timåeus

According to ( http://www.fitday.com/ ) my 2 week average; Calories Eaten (1,756 calories) Calories Burned (2,314 calories). I know I burn more calories from my workouts, but I will stick with the lower number for better results. What I have noticed is, by tracking what I eat is much easier to bypass, the stuff I shouldn't eat. A visual "quest" tracker seems to motivate me to watch my caloric intake. My workouts have been the same way. I am able to check off my workouts, or um "quests" and add them to my log. For those seeking extra motivation, the may help.
Posts from:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ascension Forum Index -> General OOC All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: