This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ascension Forum Index -> General OOC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darius777

re: A missing Vanika

Hey guys - posting for Vanika here. Her PC has died, and she's got no idea what's wrong. It'll start to spin up for a few seconds, then immediately power back down again. No error messages, nothing. So I'm to let you know she's MIA until further notice, but will be working on trying to get things fixed asap.

- Tommy/Cedrec
Vorquelf

re: A missing Vanika

When you say spin up, can you be a little more descriptive?

Does it POST? (POST being the first thing you see whenever you turn on a computer, it runs a memory check, loads the BIOS information, etc.)

Is it the hard drive that's spinning up or just the fan above the CPU? (Stick your head near the hard drive with the case off, to see if you can hear the clicks. They're pretty faint, and hard to hear over the fan, but it'll let you know if the hard drive is being accessed at all)

Is there a strong metallic odor coming from inside the case? (If there is, that means she's fried the motherboard/processor and probably shouldn't touch it while there's a live current going through it).

Are there beeps of any sort as it's booting up shortly before shut down?

Also, when you say power back down, I'm assuming you mean it turns off completely on it's own, right? As in she has to push the power button in order to get it back on.

Most of these problems have a similiar solution: Buy a new computer and/or part. If it's the hard drive(meaning it POSTs, but isn't able to access information off the hard drive so the computer can't boot completely), then that's cheap and easy. If it's the motherboard, depending on processor she has/hardware literacy/what kind of features she wants could also be cheap and easy... or expensive and hard.

Ultimately what she's probably going to have to do is Computer Troubleshooting 101, which may require second machine. She'll have to test each individual component in order to figure out where the problem lies.

I.E. Gut the machine, disconnect the extra parts from the mobo/processor(hard drive, video card, memory[if it doesn't have it's own internal memory, which most modern ones don't, leave a stick in, swap them out to test them both if you have two], sound card, etc., connect the monitor directly to the mobo), turn on the power, see what happens. If it fails to POST, your mobo/processor is gone. If it POSTS but doesn't go any further, they should be fine. Plug your hard drive into a second machine and see if you can access the information on it and/or boot off that hard drive(If you have Vista, I don't think you can do this). If it doesn't boot, there's your problem.

(P.S. Ask Vani if she's missin' me yet. ;) )

Posts from:   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ascension Forum Index -> General OOC All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: